Peter Petrov’s Weblog

var me = from practice in programming where practice.IsBestPractice && practice.UseLambda select practice.OptimalPerformance;

SQL Server 2008 – FILESTREAM feature is disabled. August 15, 2008

Filed under: Uncategorized — ppetrov @ 4:21 pm

Yesterday I have installed SQL Server 2008. I have downloaded the product samples from codeplex and I have tried to restore the Adventure Works 2008 Sample Database but I’ve this error :

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: FILESTREAM feature is disabled. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

OK the FILESTREAM is disabled but the question is how can I enable it ? The solution is very simple but it took me some time to find in on google. Here’s the link to the SQL Server 2008 Books Online on MSDN – How to: Enable FILESTREAM

Just fire SQL Server 2008 Management Studio and type

EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2
RECONFIGURE

I don’t know why Microsoft doesn’t provided this link as help. Instead of this they suggested m

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: FILESTREAM feature is disabled. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22+((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414+)&LinkId=20476

which is useless.

The final result is that I have FILESTREAM enabled and I have my AdventureWorks 2008 database restored.

Now I can continue with my tests.

Advertisements
 

SQL Server 2008 Management Studio – Rename column & Intellisense August 8, 2008

Filed under: SQL — ppetrov @ 5:41 pm
Tags: , , ,

Yesterday when I have played around with SQL Server 2008 Management Studio(SSMS) RC0. I have spotted a bug and I have filed a bug report. The new SSMS has Intellisense but it isn’t invalidated when you rename a column. When we fire SSMS and write a simple query everything is correct.

When I rename the column from Name to RoomName the Intellisense isn’t updated.

As you can see the column name is RoomName but Intellisense still proposes Name.

The Query editor is also not refreshed as shown above.

It says “Invalid column name” when the it’s perfectly valid. Note that the parse command completed successfully (as expected). The query runs with no problems.

I hope it will be fixed in the final release.